Friday, January 17, 2014

LETTERS REQUESTING INFORMATION - LETTERS OF ENQUIRY



Letters requesting information can be formal or informal.

Introduction: paragraph 1 - state reason(s) for writing
Main Body: paragraphs 2, (3), (4) - introduce requests and explain reasons for making the requests
Conclusion: final paragraph - closing remarks


Useful Language for Letters Requesting Information / Letters of Enquiry (or Inquiry)


Formal

Opening Remarks:
I am writing to inquire about/in connection with …, etc.
I am writing with reference to …

To introduce first request:
Could you possibly send ...;
I would be grateful if you could …;
Would it be possible for you to tell/send me …;
I would appreciate some information about, etc.

To introduce further requests:
Could you also please send me …;
Another matter I need information on is …;
I would also like some information on …, etc.

Closing Remarks:
I look forward to receiving your reply;
I would appreciate it if you could inform me as soon as possible, etc.



Informal

Opening Remarks:
I want you to tell me …
Can you let me know …
I’d like to know …; etc

To introduce first request:
Can you send/tell me …
I want to know …; etc.

To introduce further requests:
Can you also find out …
I also want to know …; etc.

Closing Remarks:
Please, let me know …
Send me the details …
Tell me soon …; etc.

Exercise:
Read the instructions and the model letter. Have all the points been covered in the letter? Replace the underlined examples of useful language with similar ones from the table above.

Instructions: You belong to an activity club at school. At the last meeting, it was decided that the group would arrange a river-rafting trip. Your friends, Danny and Kim, went river-rafting last term with a school group, and you want to ask them about it.

Model letter (informal)

Dear Danny and Kim

   How are you both? Our school activity club is planning a river-rafting trip next month and I want you to tell me a few things since you went on a similar trip last term.
   Can you tell me how many students went on your trip? There are about thirty planning to go in our group. Do you think that’s too many?
   I also want to know what it costs to hire a coach for one day as that’s how we intend to travel there.
   Finally, did you have to take any special safety precautions to go rafting? Obviously we will want to be properly prepared before we start.
   Please let me know as soon as you can.

                                                                                                                                              Love,  
                                                                           Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment