Sunday, May 26, 2013

THE THIRD CONDITIONAL - EXERCISES


I.Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tenses.

1.We were travelling with false passports. That was the trouble. If our passports … (be) all right, we …. (not be) arrested.
2.We had to stand almost all the way. It was all Tom's fault. If he …(book) seats, as I told him to, we …(have) quite a comfortable journey.  
3.It was rather a dull game so I left before the end; if I …(wait) another five minutes, I …(see) Chelsea scoring a really exciting goal.
4.He …(not be) so angry if he … (know) the whole story.
5.I had no map; that's why I got lost. If I …(had) a map, I …(be) all right.
6.If I …(realize) what a bad driver you were, I …(not come) with you.

II.Rewrite these sentences using an if construction.

1.I didn't see the signal, so I didn't stop.
2.You didn't tell me we had run out of bread, so I didn't buy any.
3.She didn't know you were in hospital, so she didn't visit you.
4.We got a lift, so we reached the station in time.
5.We didn't listen carefully; perhaps that's why we made this mistake.
6.We only came by bus because there were no taxis.
7.I didn't know your number, so I didn't ring.
8.She didn't speak to him, possibly because she was so shy. 


KEY TO EXERCISES
I.
1.had been, wouldn’t have been
2.had booked, would have had
3.had waited, would have seen
4.wouldn’t have been, had known
5.had had, would have been
6.had realized, wouldn’t have come


II.These are possible answers but not the only possible answers;
1.If I had seen the signal, I would have stopped.
2.If you had told me we had run out of bread, I'd have bought/(I would have bought) some.
3.If she had known you were in hospital she would have visited you.
4.If we hadn't got a lift we wouldn't have reached the station in time.
5.If we had listened carefully we wouldn’t/(mightn't) have made this mistake.
6.If there had been taxis we would have taken one.
7.If I had known/(If I’d known) your number, I would have rung.
8.If she hadn't been so shy she would/(might) have spoken to you.  


Taken from: 
   
   1.A Practical English Grammar - Thomson-Martinet - Oxford U.P. - Exercises 1 & 2  


1 comment:

  1. I would like to thank Ultimate Life Clinic for reversing my father's Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS). My father’s ALS condition was fast deteriorating before he started on the ALS Herbal medicine treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic. He was on the treatment for just 6 months and we never thought my father will recover so soon. He has gained some weight in the past months and he is able to walk with no support. You can reach them through there website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com

    ReplyDelete