Thursday, October 24, 2013

PHRASAL VERBS - New Headway Advanced



1.give sth away - to give sth to sb as a gift
2.give sb/yourself away - to do or say sth that shows sth about sb/yourself that was a secret

1.give up; give sth up; - to stop trying to do sth, usually because it is too difficult
2.give yourself up (to sb) - to allow yourself to be arrested or captured Synonym - surrender

1.work out - to train the body by physical exercise
2.work sth. out - to find the answer to a question or sth that is difficult to understand or explain

1.work sb up; work yourself up (into) - to gradually make sb/yourself become very upset, angry or excited about sth
2.work sth up - to gradually develop or increase sth until you have enough

1.put sb down (also put yourself down) to criticize sb and make them feel stupid, especially in front of other people; to say something that suggests that you have a low opinion of yourself
2.put sth down - to write sth down; to make a note of sth

1.put sb up - to let sb stay at your home; to arrange for sb to stay somewhere
2.put sth up - increase the price or cost of sth

1.get on with sb - to have a friendly relationship with sb
2.get on with sth - used to talk about how well sb is doing a task, managing a situation, etc

1.get up to sth - to reach a particular point
2.get up to sth - to be doing or be involved in sth, especially sth that is surprising or unpleasant

1.go down with sth - to become ill with sth
2.go down with - if a remark, a performance, an action, etc. goes down well or badly etc. it gets a good or bad reaction from people

1.go in for sth - to like sth and regularly use it, do it, etc.; to have sth as an interest or a hobby
2.go in for sth - to decide to do or enter sth




EXERCISE


I.Put the correct phrasal verb in each sentence: get on with, give away, 
get up to, work up, give up, go in for, put down, put up, go down with, 
work out;

1. He decided to ……… most of his money ……….
2. Do you ……… well ……… your boss?
3. We ……… page 72 last lesson. (Past Simple)
4. It was her eyes that ……… her ………. (Past Simple)
5. I tried to fix the car myself, but ……… the attempt after a couple of hours. (Past Simple)
6. After a week on the run he ……… himself ……… to the police. (Past Simple)
7. The theatre has ………… ticket prices again.
8. I think I'm ………ing ………… a cold.
9. The movie ……………… well ………… the American audiences.
10. Did your performance ………… well ………… the audience?
11. She had ………….ed herself ………… into a rage.
12. We can ………… you both ………… for the night.   
13. We jogged up the hill to …………… an appetite. 
14. The banks have …………… their interest rates again. 
15. I'll ………… the meeting ………… in my diary. 
16. My family don't ………… that sort of celebrations.
17. She's always ………ing people …………….
18. I couldn't ………… how Jack had got there so quickly.
19. I can 't …………… much enthusiasm for this subject.
20. I try and ………… about three times a week.
21. She doesn't ………… easily.
22. He decided to ………… politics.
23. The landlord wants to ………… the rent by £20 a month.
24. The game was fairly simple once we'd ………ed ……… the rules.
25. I've ………… some ideas ……… on paper.





KEY

1. He decided to give most of his money away.
2. Do you get on well with your boss?
3. We got up to page 72 last lesson.
4. It was her eyes that gave her away.
5. I tried to fix the car myself, but gave up the attempt after a couple of hours.
6. After a week on the run he gave himself up to the police.
7. The theatre has put up ticket prices again.
8. I think I'm going down with a cold.
9. The movie went down well with the American audience.
10. Did your performance go down well with the audience?
11. She had worked herself up into a rage.
12. We can put you both up for the night.      
13. We jogged up the hill to work up an appetite.
14. The banks have put up their interest rates again. 
15. I'll put the meeting down in my diary. 
16. My family don't go in for that sort of celebrations.
17. She's always putting people down.
18. I couldn't work out how Jack had got there so quickly.
19. I can 't work up much enthusiasm for this subject.
20. I try and work out about three times a week.
21. She doesn't give up easily.
22. He decided to go in for politics.
23. The landlord wants to put up the rent by £20 a month.
24. The game was fairly simple once we'd worked out the rules.
25. I've put some ideas down on paper.


No comments:

Post a Comment