Sunday, April 27, 2014

LINKING DEVICES / LINKERS - EXERCISES



I Circle the correct answer: a, b, or c.
1 Jenny spent a month in Paris … improve her French.
a so that b in order to c so as
2 Colin worked all night … be late finishing the project.
a so as not to b to not c so that not
3 Take some more money … you need to pay to get in.
a so as to b in order that c in case
4 She phoned me … she could discuss the problem.
a in order to b so that c so as to
5 Kathy spoke to a lawyer … find out what to do next.
a to b in order that c so that
6 I repeated the point … he hadn’t understood me.
a in case b so as not c in order not


II Complete the sentences using one of the words:
no matter what,  even if, unless, as long as, whoever, whether

1 I’ll see you inside the stadium ….. you decide not to go.
2 I’m going out tonight, …. you like it or not.
3 He can wait in the queue with everyone else, …. he is.
4 I’ll have one of those cocktails …. it isn’t too expensive.
5 He said he’d always love her, ……… happened.
6 He goes to the office …… he’s ill. Today he’s got flu, but he’s still at work.





 KEY to exercises


Exercise I  

1 b 2 a 3 c 4 b 5 a 6 a

Exercise II  

1 unless
2 whether
3 whoever
4 as long as
5 no matter what
6 even if



No comments:

Post a Comment