Monday, June 2, 2014

LETTERS OF APPLICATION


A letter of application may be written when we apply for a permanent or temporary job. It is usually formal; therefore, the appropriate language and expressions should be used.

Useful language for letters of application

Opening Remarks:
I am writing with regard to your advertisement …
I am writing to apply for the post / job / position of ….. which I saw advertised in …
I saw your advertisement for a …. in today’s ….. newspaper…. I am interested in …..
I am writing in connection with …..., etc.

Reference to experience/ qualifications:
For the past year / last 2 years I have been working as …..
I have been working as …..since / for...
Two years ago I was employed as ...
I worked as ….. before ..., etc.
I have / hold /obtained a degree / diploma / certificate in ...
I have successfully / recently completed a course in ……

Closing Remarks:
I would appreciate a reply at your earliest convenience.
Please contact me regarding any queries / questions you may have.
I enclose my CV / Please find enclosed my CV.
I am available for an interview at any time convenient to you.
I look forward to hearing from you soon / in due course. etc

Organization of paragraphs

Introduction: paragraph 1 - state the reason for writing
Main Body: paragraphs 2,(3),(4),(5)* -
education & qualifications,
previous experience (it is mentioned only if it is required)
personal qualities,
suitability
Conclusion: final paragraph - closing remarks

* The exact number and division of paragraphs and the order of presenting information will depend on the specific instructions for each letter-writing task.


Example letter

Dear Mr. Benton

I saw your advertisement for a Business Journalist in today’s Guardian newspaper. I am very interested in the job and I think that I have many of the necessary qualifications.
I studied politics and modern languages at Oxford University. I am fluent in French, German and Spanish. I have travelled widely in Europe and South America, and I have worked as a business journalist for the BBC for the last five years.
I enclose a copy of my curriculum vitae. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Please let me know if you need more information.

Yours sincerely
Nancy Mann

1 comment:

  1. [Please authorize this post]

    For Natural herbal Remedies....Contact him now for a herpes cure.

    ___________________ r.buckler11@gmail.com …..

    I am cured from herpes…it works…

    ReplyDelete