Sunday, April 27, 2014

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES AND EXPRESSING WISHES AND REGRETS - EXERCISES




I.Rewrite the sentences using conditional forms.
1 I don’t buy CDs because they’re so expensive.
2 It’s raining heavily, so we can’t play tennis.
3 I was very busy last night so I didn’t phone you.
4 The reason Louise coughs all the time is that she smokes.
5 He didn’t know what to expect, so he stayed at that motel.
6 She didn't know you were in hospital, so she didn't visit you.
7 She is very shy; that's why she doesn't enjoy parties.
8 They don't clean the windows so the rooms look rather dark.

II.Respond to each situation using wish or if only.
1 You’ve just deleted a page of text by mistake.
I ………… deleted that.
2 You can’t play the guitar as well as him.
If ……………. as well as him.
3 You can’t reach a book on the top shelf of a library.
I …………. a bit taller.
4 You’re in a nightclub, but you’ve run out of cash.
If …………….. more money with me.
5 You said something nasty to a friend, and now regret it.
I ……….. that to her.
6 Your boss is always criticizing your work.
I ……… my work all the time.


 

KEY to exercises

I. Conditional sentences.  Key 
1.If the CD’s weren’t so expensive, I would buy them.

2.If it wasn’t raining heavily, we could play tennis.
3.If I hadn’t been so busy last night, I would have phoned you.
4.If Louise didn’t smoke, she wouldn’t cough all the time.
5.If he had known what to expect, he wouldn’t have stayed in that motel.
6.If she had known you were in hospital, she would have visited you.
7.If she wasn't/weren't so shy she would enjoy parties.
8.If they cleaned the windows the rooms would look brighter.

II.Wishes and regrets. Key
1 I wish I hadn’t
2 If only I could play the guitar
3 I wish I was/were
4 If only I’d taken / I had
5 I wish I hadn’t said
6 I wish my boss wouldn’t criticize

2 comments:

  1. There is shocking news in the sports betting industry.

    It's been said that every bettor needs to look at this,

    Watch this now or stop betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Automated Sports Betting Software

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Follow our trades NOW and make up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete